Every year, within hours of the Rideau Canal Skateway’s opening, hundreds of skaters flock to the ice.
And while the polar vortex hovering over the city helped crews make progress on the surface, as of Dec. 29, more work was still to come.
According to the National Capital Commission’s (NCC’s) senior manager of communications, Jean Wolff, up to Boxing Day, there was just a thin layer of ice forming on the top of the canal…
…Last season was the second-shortest on record, coming in at 25 days.
Though its days were limited, there was a bump in the number of visits per skating day. The average is about 22,000 visits, but with the sesquicentennial and the ice dragon boat races, the average number of visits went up to almost 25,000… Read more at The Hamilton Spectator.
- BYTOWN SESSIONS FEATURING KIRA ISABELLA, DWAYNE GRETZKY & MORE! March 18, 2020
- CANADA WINS GOLD AT THE 2ND IIDBF WORLD ICE DRAGON BOAT CHAMPIONSHIPS February 8, 2020
- BEAVERTAILS OTTAWA ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL HOSTS 2ND IIDBF WORLD ICE DRAGON BOAT CHAMPIONSHIPS AMID CLASSIC CANADIAN WINTER WEATHER February 8, 2020
- THE INSIDER’S GUIDE TO THE BEAVERTAILS OTTAWA ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL AND 2ND IIDBF WORLD ICE DRAGON BOAT CHAMPIONSHIPS February 4, 2020
- 100TH REGIMENT OF FOOT – SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2020 @ 9:00 AM February 4, 2020