Every year, within hours of the Rideau Canal Skateway’s opening, hundreds of skaters flock to the ice.
And while the polar vortex hovering over the city helped crews make progress on the surface, as of Dec. 29, more work was still to come.
According to the National Capital Commission’s (NCC’s) senior manager of communications, Jean Wolff, up to Boxing Day, there was just a thin layer of ice forming on the top of the canal…
…Last season was the second-shortest on record, coming in at 25 days.
Though its days were limited, there was a bump in the number of visits per skating day. The average is about 22,000 visits, but with the sesquicentennial and the ice dragon boat races, the average number of visits went up to almost 25,000… Read more at The Hamilton Spectator.
- FROM DRAGON BOATS TO BOBSLEDS March 11, 2019
- FEATURING SOME OF OTTAWA’S BEST LOCAL TALENT January 21, 2019
- 2019 ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL, TO BE LARGER THAN EVER! November 27, 2018
- IIDBF WORLD CLUB CREW ICE DRAGON BOAT CHAMPIONSHIPS, COMING TO OTTAWA November 7, 2018
- OTTAWA ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL 2019 REGISTRATION SELLS OUT! October 1, 2018