China Central Television (CCTV) presents the inaugural North American ice dragon boat festival that was held on Saturday, February 18, 2017 in Ottawa on the Rideau Canal Skateway. Dragon boating racing was invented in China and this festival was held as part of Canada’s 150th anniversary celebrations. The event was supported by both Canada and China.
Charge d’affaires Wang Wentian of the Chinese embassy spoke about how the registration of 60 teams sold out in minutes. Melanie Joly, Heritage Minister, Canada said that “We’re really happy to see that actually we will be celebrating Chinese culture in the context of (Canada’s 150th anniversary) here right now in Ottawa.”
- OTTAWA COMMUNITY NEWS: ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL COMING BACK IN 2018 June 20, 2017
- OTTAWA ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL IN DERNIÈRES NOUVELLES D’ALSACE March 4, 2017
- DISCOVERY CHANNEL’S DAILY PLANET FEATURES ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL March 1, 2017
- THE RICK MERCER REPORT FEATURES ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL February 28, 2017
- THE CURIOUS CREATURE: OTTAWA IN THE WINTER February 25, 2017