China Central Television (CCTV) presents the inaugural North American ice dragon boat festival that was held on Saturday, February 18, 2017 in Ottawa on the Rideau Canal Skateway. Dragon boating racing was invented in China and this festival was held as part of Canada’s 150th anniversary celebrations. The event was supported by both Canada and China.
Charge d’affaires Wang Wentian of the Chinese embassy spoke about how the registration of 60 teams sold out in minutes. Melanie Joly, Heritage Minister, Canada said that “We’re really happy to see that actually we will be celebrating Chinese culture in the context of (Canada’s 150th anniversary) here right now in Ottawa.”
- CULTURE AND HERITAGE AT TIM HORTONS OTTAWA ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL February 9, 2018
- FREE CONCERTS AT TIM HORTONS OTTAWA ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL February 7, 2018
- WITH THE SESQUICENTENNIAL AND THE ICE DRAGON BOAT RACES, THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF VISITS WENT UP January 8, 2018
- FROM INTERNATIONAL ICE CARVING COMPETITIONS TO THE POPULAR ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVALS January 8, 2018
- YAY! WE WERE FEATURED IN DRAGON SPORT NEWS December 17, 2017